Omega 3 fatty acids are essential fats that cannot be produced by our bodies, which is why they must be obtained from external sources. These fats are especially important because they have many health benefits and are extremely beneficial to our heart and overall well-being. However, most people don’t get enough omega-3s in their diet, leading to widespread deficiency of this essential fat. The good news is that it’s easy to get sufficient amounts of omega-3 fats by taking daily fish oil or another type of omega-3 supplement. In this article, we explain what an omega 3 supplement is, the different types available, how they can be used, and the benefits of using them.
What is an Omega 3 Supplement?
The word “supplement” is often used to describe something that is added to your diet to make up for a deficiency. Omega 3 supplements are dietary supplements that are designed to help people who don’t get enough omega 3 in their diet. While omega-3 fatty acids are found in many foods like fish, nuts, and seeds, most people don’t get enough of them, which is why omega-3 supplements are so useful.
Omega 3 supplements come in two forms: fish oil supplements and algae oil supplements. Fish oil supplements are made from oil extracted from cold-water fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines. Algae oil supplements are generally made from algae like spirulina or chlorella.
Types of Omega 3 Supplements
– Fish oil supplements – Fish oil supplements are the most common type of omega-3 supplements. They are made from oil that is extracted from the flesh of cold-water fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines. Fish oil contains high levels of both EPA and DHA, the two main omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil.
– Algae oil supplements – Algae is a type of sea plant that grows in oceans, bays, and other waters. Algae oil supplements are made from oil extracted from algae like spirulina or chlorella. Unlike fish oil, algae oil supplements don’t contain EPA or DHA, the two main omega-3 fatty acids.
– Krill oil supplements – Krill oil supplements are similar to fish oil supplements in that they are made from the oil of seafood, in this case, krill. Krill is a type of oceanic crustacean that is used as feed for animals like fish and crabs.
– Flaxseed oil supplements – Flaxseed oil supplements are made from ground flaxseeds that are processed into oil. Flaxseed oil is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, a type of omega-3 fatty acid. Although flaxseed oil is high in omega 3s, it isn’t as bioavailable as fish oil.
– Hempseed oil supplements – Hempseed oil supplements are made from hemp seeds that have been pressed to extract the oil. Hempseed oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids but isn’t as bioavailable as fish oil.
– Chia seed oil supplements– Chia seed oil supplements are made from chia seeds that are pressed to extract the oil. Chia seed oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids but isn’t as bioavailable as fish oil.
– Sea buckthorn oil supplements – Sea buckthorn oil supplements are made from the oil of sea buckthorn berries, which are a plant that grows in arid regions of Europe and Asia. Sea buckthorn oil is rich in omega 3 fatty acids but is also high in omega 9 fatty acids, which can have undesired side effects.
How to Use an Omega 3 Supplement
If you’re not getting enough omega-3 fats in your diet, you can take an omega-3 supplement to compensate for this. The best way to do this is to take one or two fish oil or algae oil supplements each day. You can take your omega 3 supplement at any time of day, though it is best to take it with a meal. Always read the directions on the product you’re taking to make sure you’re taking it properly.
Benefits of Taking an Omega 3 Supplement
There are many benefits of taking an omega-3 supplement. These include:
– Reduced risk of heart disease – Omega 3 fatty acids are very beneficial to the heart. Several studies have shown that people who consume more of these fats are less likely to develop heart problems, such as heart attacks.
– Reduced risk of stroke – Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to reduce your risk of having a stroke.
– Reduces symptoms of arthritis – Omega 3s are also beneficial for people who suffer from arthritis because they help to reduce the pain and inflammation associated with this condition.
– Reduced risk of developing Type 2 diabetes – Studies have shown that people who consume more omega 3 fatty acids are less likely to develop Type 2 diabetes.
– Helps to prevent cognitive decline – Taking an omega 3 supplement could help to prevent cognitive decline associated with aging.
– Helps to improve brain function – Omega 3 supplements can also help to improve brain function because they are key to the production of neurotransmitters, chemicals that regulate our mood, sleep, and other brain functions.
Who Should Take an Omega 3 Supplement?
If your diet doesn’t contain enough omega-3 fats, you may want to consider taking an omega-3 supplement. If you fall into one of the following groups, you are particularly at risk of not getting enough omega 3s in your diet and may benefit from taking a supplement: –
Vegetarians and vegans – Vegetarians and vegans often struggle to get enough omega 3s in their diet, since fish and eggs are the main dietary sources of these fats.
People who don’t eat fish – Some people choose not to eat fish because of its high mercury content. If you’re one of these people, you may want to consider taking an omega-3 supplement.
Pregnant women – Pregnant women should consume more omega-3 fats because they are important for the developing fetus.
People with high blood pressure – If you have high blood pressure, you may want to consider taking an omega-3 supplement since it can reduce your risk of having a heart attack.
The Best Omega- 3 Supplements
If you’re looking to take an omega 3 supplement, you have a wide range of different types to choose from. We’ve covered the different types of omega 3 supplements above, and have listed the best ones below. –
Fish oil supplements – These are the most common omega 3 supplements and are made from oil extracted from cold-water fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines. Fish oil supplements are effective at increasing your omega 3 intakes because they contain high levels of EPA and DHA, the two main omega 3 fatty acids.
Algae oil supplements – Algae oil supplements are less well known than fish oil supplements but are growing in popularity thanks to their vegan-friendly nature. Algae oil supplements are made from oil extracted from algae like spirulina or chlorella.