Tiger Woods gives fitness update after ‘strange things’ affected nightmare start at The Open | Golf | Sports


Tiger Woods has set himself the target of improving by a mammoth 12 shots in his opening round of the Open Championship if he is to make it through St Andrews – and has provided an update on his fitness.

The three-time champion fired his worst round at home as a professional – a nightmare six-over-par 78 – to be left languishing down the course. And he admitted afterwards that he will have to match Rory McIlroy’s mark in Friday’s first round if he is not to launch a private jet for an early flight home.

“I’m going to have to shoot 66 tomorrow to have a chance,” Woods said. “Obviously it’s been done – the guys have done it today – and it’s my responsibility tomorrow to go ahead and do it. I have to do it.

“I didn’t really feel like I hit it that bad, but I ended up in bad spots. Or some strange things just happened. That’s how it goes. Links are like that. And this golf course is like that. I had my chances to turn it around and get it going the right way and I didn’t do it.”

MUST-READ: Tiger Woods looked an old man and must think about future after ragged showing at The Open

“But I played British Opens where they were like that. And it’s up to me to make those adjustments, and I haven’t.”

St Andrews is Woods’ favorite course and after attending the US Open in Brookline last month he was determined to win this championship. However, it couldn’t have been much worse for the 46-year-old.

“This was always on the calendar to hopefully be good enough to play. And I did. I just didn’t do a good job,” he said.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.