Pina Coladas and Dump Cake are a match made in heaven. They both have that sweet and tropical flavor that’s perfect for getting into the summertime spirit. This Pina Colada Dump Cake recipe is an easy dessert you can make in your slow cooker. It’s perfect for spring or warm-weather get-togethers when you want to serve something no-fuss and that doesn’t require any oven time. Check out this simple dump cake recipe and give your next cookout guests something to talk about!
What is Pina Colada Dump Cake?
A pina colada is a cocktail of coconut and pineapple juice. Dump cake is a simple American dessert (also known as trifle cake or toffee cake) that’s made by layering cake and bananas in a baking dish and pouring a simple syrup over all. This recipe has all you need to make a delicious, no-fuss dessert that’s perfect for spring or summer. While you might expect this tropical-flavored dessert to be made with fresh pineapple and coconut, this recipe makes use of coconut-flavored convenience items. It’s topped with Cool Whip, which is a popular topping for pina Coladas, and it’s a quick and easy way to make this recipe.
How to Make Pina Colada Dump Cake
To start, this recipe calls for a can of coconut milk and/or coconut cream to be used in a saucepan over low heat. The saucepan is then used to simmer the ingredients for the cake. In a separate bowl, an un-mashed banana, a can of crushed pineapple, sugar, and water is added to make a thick syrup. The cake batter and syrup are then layered in a baking dish, along with a layer of butter.
The dish is then covered and cooked in a slow cooker for 6 hours on low. Once cooked, the cake is taken out of the slow cooker, and the sauce is poured over the top. A can of condensed milk is added to the syrup left in the pan, and the cake is topped with a Cool Whip. Serve in generous slices, and enjoy this tropical dessert!
The Best Ingredients for Making Pina Colada Dump Cake
– Coconut milk and coconut cream: The coconut milk and cream used in this recipe are just as good as fresh coconut. It’s perfect for this recipe, and you can find it in any grocery store alongside canned milk and cream. Coconut milk is a great ingredient for baking and desserts, and it delivers a strong coconut flavor.
– Butter: Butter is the fat ingredient that makes the cake rich and creamy. It’s also what binds the ingredients together and helps form a crust for the cake. Butter is a perfect addition to this recipe, and it goes well with the other ingredients.
– Sugar: Sugar adds a sweetness to the cake that is balanced by coconut milk and butter. It also caramelizes as it cooks, which gives the cake a nice crust.
– Water: Water is used in the syrup and the cake batter. It hydrates the ingredients, adding a moist texture to the cake. It also helps the ingredients caramelize and prevents them from burning.
– Bananas: The bananas in this recipe are mashed, and they give the cake its sweetness and creamy texture. They also add a slight banana flavor, which is perfect with the other ingredients.
– Crushed pineapple: Crushed pineapple gives the cake a deep and fruity flavor. It’s not as sweet as fresh pineapple, which is perfect for this dessert. Fresh pineapple is too sweet to use in this recipe.
Variations to this yummy Pina Colada Dump Cake Recipe
– Substitute fresh pineapple for the crushed pineapple. You can also use a combination of fresh and crushed pineapple for a more balanced flavor.
– Use coconut extract instead of coconut milk and cream.
– Substitute chopped walnuts for the peanuts.
– Add a layer of caramel sauce to the top of each slice.
– Add a splash of rum to the cake batter for a more intense coconut flavor.
How to make a no-bake dessert in the crock-pot:
A crockpot is a perfect way to make a no-bake dessert. The slow, even cooking is great for preserving the texture of most ingredients, which is important in this easy pina colada dump cake recipe. To make this recipe, first layer a can of crushed pineapple, a can of sweetened condensed milk, and a can of coconut milk in the bottom of a slow cooker.
Next, make a simple syrup by mixing equal parts of sugar and water and bringing it to a boil until the sugar dissolves. To finish, layer a box of yellow cake mix, a mashed banana, and a bag of coconut-flavored toffee bits on top of the liquids in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 to 6 hours.
This pina colada dump cake is the perfect no-bake dessert to make on a warm summer day. The slow cooker does all the work, so it’s easy to put together for any occasion. You can make it with fresh or frozen fruit, so it works for any time of the year. This recipe is also versatile, so you can customize it by using different cake mixes and toffee bits. This dessert is creamy, sweet, and so delicious that everyone will ask for seconds.